Monday, March 21, 2016

A Day in the Sun

A Day in the Sun
I’ve learned to pack lightly when we go to the beach. I made the mistake of bringing everything possible once, and I’ll never repeat it. This recounts a warm Saturday during the summer of 2000. I had been married to my wife, Wendy, for less than a year, and we planned an outing to Gulf Breeze over the weekend with my step-daughter, Jessi, and her six-month-old daughter, Leslie.
During the week leading up to the beach weekend, my wife and step-daughter shopped for everything possible that would be needed at the beach. We obtained the wind cover for the playpen, three sets of snorkels and fins, nets for catching fish, beach towels, beach blankets, a new cooler, and the list goes on. I packed most of what I could into our 1996 Geo Prism the night before and managed to fit an additional load, including two full coolers, two suitcases, and three bags of snacks, in the early morning of that Saturday. With three adults and a child in a baby carrier, the car was full.
For breakfast, we decided to use the McDonald’s drive-through so we could arrive at the beach early. Armed with warm food, we began our three hour adventure through rural Alabama to the Florida panhandle just after seven o’clock in the morning. We chatted as we ate, but after the wrappers were empty and Leslie had her bottle, all of the girls fell asleep. It was a very quiet drive down to the Florida state line, where we would lose an hour entering the Eastern Time Zone.
Leslie decided to wake up and announce her wakefulness by crying once we entered Pensacola. Another bottle and a quick diaper change took care of Leslie’s fussiness. The conversation in the car increased and I could sense the excitement of Wendy and Jessi. There were “oohs” and “aahs” as we crossed the causeways over the sound and Intercoastal Waterway. The girls were pointing out all types of water fowl, but I had to concentrate on driving. At last, we entered the National Seashore and found our favorite beach. The sun was out, the breeze was warm and the time was just before eleven o’clock.
This particular beach was in a cove, so the shallow water extended out a bit further than most beaches. It also had a covered area with restrooms, showers and picnic tables. I thought the location would be perfect for a weekend at the beach. Wendy and Jessi were wearing their swimming suits beneath their clothes, so we walked up to the restrooms and I played with my granddaughter while the ladies changed.
They came out of the restroom and headed straight down to the beach! I went back to the car and retrieved an umbrella, toting Leslie in her carrier. I then took both down to the beach. Wendy and Jessi were in the water and I asked where they had dropped their sandals. Wendy heard me and motioned to my right. So, I set up the umbrella to protect Leslie near that location. I knew we had a lot of items, so I tried to choose an area that was a little larger and unoccupied. After waving my arms for a few minutes, I got my wife’s attention and she came up from the water. I asked if she could watch Leslie while I unloaded the car and she agreed.
I then began the fifty minute, eight-trip saga of pulling almost everything from the car’s trunk, back seat, and other nooks and crannies up over the sand dune to the beach. Each trip, I would set up the location with what I brought, like the playpen and its windbreak or the coolers and snacks. Before venturing for the next load, I would entertain requests of “I need her diaper bag” and “bring the boogie board next time” from Wendy and Jessi.
I had the last load in hand and as I climbed up the dune, I noticed my wife sitting at a picnic table under the covered area with Leslie. As I approached, I could hear Leslie crying for all that she was worth and Wendy appeared to be changing her diaper. It was then that I learned that the ladies had taken Leslie into the salt water. Evidently, Leslie had a small case of diaper rash that was aggravated by the sting of the salt water. Jessi then appeared in the covered area and said it was too hot for Leslie down on the beach and the two girls told me they wanted to be under cover. It was now nearly noon.
I then placed my “last load” on the picnic table and began the ritual of moving all the equipment from the beach to the picnic tables under the covering. I had a chance to admire my work in placing everything around our sandy area for a couple of minutes, and then I continued with the seven trips up to the girls’ location. It took me less time, about forty minutes, to breakdown our perfectly architected sandy location and relocate everything under the covering. I admit that I was less meticulous with placement, opting instead to pile the items on adjacent picnic tables. Once again, I had a “last load” and I had just arrived under the covering. I was hot, sweaty, thirsty, and the time was roughly a quarter-to-one in the afternoon.
My loving daughter looked at me and said, “Dad, please don’t get mad.” I assured her that I was far too tired to be angry. Jessi then added, “We’re pretty hungry.” I then realized that I was also hungry. I was still holding my second “last load” and, without a word, I just turned and took it down to the car. After the ensuing seven trips and about twenty minutes, the car was reloaded and we were driving out of the National Seashore, looking for lunch. The car was quiet, like it had been on the drive that morning.

 Our family had spent nearly three hours at the beach and I had yet to don my swimsuit. Further, the decision at lunch was to forgo the beach, check into the hotel, and use the hotel pool, which would be kinder to Leslie’s bottom. I agreed to this plan, though I told both Wendy and Jessi that we would never pack like this again for any trip to the beach, and we never have. All I need to do is begin recounting this story and suddenly the list of what we need for a weekend at the beach dwindles to one suitcase and one armful of items.

-- Steve Scheider, Oct. 2006