Tuesday, November 5, 2019

The Metamorphosis of Halloween


The Metamorphosis of Halloween

Wendy and I had only been in our new home for a month when Halloween arrived. We were both hoping for a lot of children, so we spent some time filling sixty bags with "penny candy" – suckers, pixie sticks, sweet-tarts, and gum, plus a Halloween themed plastic ring. The candies were placed in a cauldron shaped bucket next to the door so that we could grab them easily as kids arrived.

The main door was open so we could see the children as they approached. This worked well for the neighbor children and the babies that were out before sunset. Once the sun went down, I took on a different tactic. I decided to pull put an old Halloween mask that I had – it fit over your head and came with armor over the shoulder. The face was sunken, and the lips were threaded with twine. I was pretty scary looking and I thought that this would do the trick on some of the older trick-or-treaters. We accentuated the haunted house by shutting off all of the lights inside the house except for the porch light and the interior light behind the front door.

I heard the doorbell ring and I looked out the peephole. There were three kids and two adults. I grabbed five candy bags and slowly opened the door, saying in the deepest Sam-Elliott voice that I had, "Happy Halloween!!!" The adults were taken aback and the kids got wide-eyed – just the effect I wanted. I then said in a normal voice, "I suppose you want some candy..." They nodded and I handed the bags to the parents and one into each child's bag. This continued and I mastered my "scare" over the next five or six groups of kids.

Then another group came. I didn't look out – I just grabbed four bags of candy. As I was billowing "Happy Halloween," I heard the shriek of a very young girl who was dashing away from the front door and across my front lawn, dropping candy and bits of her costume as she ran. Her dad was in the driveway and he exclaimed, "Man, that's a good one!" I apologized profusely to him and I took off the mask and started picking up the bits that the little girl dropped during her escape. I was mortified. I took off the mask for the evening and sat on the porch, handing out candy bags until we ran out. I vowed that night that I would not "scare" on Halloween again.

Fast forward about ten years – Wendy and I are sitting on the porch handing out our 120 bags of candy to the kids. Two small kids approach with a taller teen girl, the dad was standing in the driveway. We handed each of the children a bag of candy and the teen girl asked us, "do you know who I am?" She wasn't in a costume, so I was perplexed by the question. "Do I know you," I asked. Then the girl relayed that she was the little girl that I scared that night. I told her that I have never scared anyone since and that I was very sorry and that she could have all of our candies if she wanted. She said that since being scared by me that she had purposefully skipped our home on Halloween, but that she felt old enough and brave enough to come up this time. We gave her hugs and candy, and shook her dad's hand, and met her mom as well.

I could add a witty moral to this story, but I'll put it another way: because of my selfishness, a child was afraid of me and our house. Sometimes, as an adult, we don't perceive the power that we can wield, especially the power we can wield over children. I grew up a lot on that Halloween.