Thursday, November 22, 2018

Ring Bells on Time


Ring Bells on Time

I was an Electronics Technician Second Class (ET2) on board the USS Mount Vernon (LSD-25). As a shipboard sailor, I was assigned to a duty section and I generally stood watch every third day when in port. My watch was the Quarterdeck. At this station was the Officer of the Deck (OOD), the Petty Officer of the Watch (POOW), and a Rover. The Quarterdeck was an area where people may embark or depart the ship. Generally, all coming aboard requested to come aboard from the OOD, then waited until a salute is returned to them. The same is true when disembarking from the ship. When therre was a  high amount of traffic, or when the OOD was indisposed, the POOW performed this function. The Rover was able to perform security sweeps of the ship, looking for unusual activity. The Quarterdeck was relieved every six hours.

One of the required activities of the POOW was to ring bells. Bells were struck from 6 am (reveille) to 10 pm (taps) local time of the port where the ship was berthed. The number one responsibility of the POOW was to ring bells: ring them correctly, and ring them on time. The correctly part was straight forward – every four hours the cycle repeated – two bells for the first hour, four bells for the second, six bells for the third and eight bells for the fourth. Half hours were marked by an additional bell. If standing the mid-watch (2 to 8 am), I would ring four bells at 6 am and recite the "reveille" call. At 6:30, I would ring five bells (four plus one) and six bells at 7 am. 7:30 was seven bells, 8 was eight bells. When I stood the day watch, at 8:30 the cycle would start again with one bell, then two at nine, etcetera.

Sometimes the Quarterdeck would have been very busy, with contractors, family, port services, and crew all wanting a salute or a sign-off on divers, fuel, ordinance, or any number of things. Regardless of the mayhem and its degree, the Petty Officer of the Watch showed his composure by ringing bells on time.

I have translated this over to my life, though it has taken me a number of years to realize the lesson of ringing bells on time.When I have felt overwhelmed, I ask God for a little help, and he reminds me of my time on the Quarterdeck and ringing bells on time. When I feel frustrated with myself, I ask God for a little help, and he again reminds me of the USS Mt. Vernon and ringing bells on time. When I want to fix all the wrongs, straighten them, and make them right, I ask God for a little help, and he reminds me of that little brass bell being broadcast throughout the ship over the ship's speaker system, the 1MC.

Though the ringing of bells seemed a bit antiquated, there was a purpose to it. Bells improperly struck or not rung on time signaled that the Quarterdeck was potentially breached. Another officer, the Command Duty Officer (CDO) would listen for the striking of bells and sound the alarm if they were erroneous, with the potential effect of having thirty unannounced sailors, armed with shotguns and pistols, show up at the Quarterdeck.

So, if you are impatient, or inundated, or incapable to cope with the obstacles of today, tomorrow, or even yesterday, just ring bells on time. If you slip and folks come to your aid, let them help you, make you stronger, and provide you the courage so that you may always ring the bells in your life on time.

Steve Scheider, ET1, retired after 8 years